Pages

Friday 12 September 2014

clueless on appropriate title


I always say if you are going to be my partner, be my fan as well. You need to make an effort to know me as well as you know the back of your hand, including the last three digits of my I.D number. Yes, I insist you have to be my fan. This has proved to be a vital attitude especially after watching a local T.V programme, The Couples Show.  The fundamental principle of the show being quite simple; how well you know your partner - whereby the winning couple receives a cash prize award.
You may take it for granted to get acquainted with some of the attributes your spouse’s family prides itself in or what your mum’s favourite colour is. You may not remember the name of your best friend’s mother or the name of the school their child goes to. Only to place the blame on everything other than your nonchalant (feels good to use this word. And it feels even better to state the same) attitude towards your relationships.
While I encourage a degree of mystery for that much needed spice in relationships, I tend to imagine having a partner who can pick the precise whisky bottle for my father during a weekend visit home is quite a catch. Or a boss who understands your preference to be introduced as Joe rather than Joseph quite bearable.
I’m a fan of those I interact with and do add significant value to my life. I’m a fan because I have learned the art of listening and not just hearing. I have learned to be inquisitive and observe the little things they do. So do not be surprised when I give you the children’s name of our office messenger. I take the time to genuinely interact with people because I am passionate about them.
Healthy relationships whether romantic or work related need to have the participants’ involvement in taking the time to learn about each other. While the learning process may require more than just your time, it is definitely a worthy experience as it aids you in building stronger meaningful bonds. I have taken it a step further and referred to it as being a fan because it requires you to be more than just a friend, wife, boyfriend, sister or colleague but also going the extra mile and being something a little more.
Get to know the people in your life a little deeper you could be surprised with what you realise;  you may have been sitting on a potential gold mine or a ticking time bomb that you will be glad to escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment