Pages

Thursday 29 November 2012

Bridal Line up Blues


When I received news that I had been selected to be part of a bridal party of a family friend whom I remember meeting once or twice my whole life and only managed to say a simple halo to, I felt trapped. Me? Whose wedding again? How? Why .Why?
It may seem that being part of a bridal party is not such a big deal. But if you have to cough ksh.4000 for a dress you will never get to wear again, and am being lenient not giving details on how unflattering the dress looks on me. Time and more money spent shopping for shoes, plus sweet talking friends to hand in your class project. Then it quite is a big deal.
Choosing bride maids is a way to honor the people most important to you and to share your special day with them. Many people have trouble narrowing down the field. The bridal party am part of consists of 6 small kids who were having such a difficult time coordinating in matching simultaneously during rehearsals.8 diverse bride maids with a woman more or less on her early 40s or mid 30’s and a sweet sixteen on the line up. And 6 groom’s men.
There is no rule of thumb for choosing your bridal party, in fact it could be reasoned the more the merrier. But I believe the bride to be needs a party she can rely on for organizational and emotional support. Ideally, bride maids perform duties before, during and at times after the wedding the more reason as to why it is important to selectively choose your party.
As much as it is part of African culture to have that spirit of togetherness, and be able to be part and parcel of each other‘s celebrations, times have changed. With constraints such as money, work related issues and class related activities, it would surely not make anyone less African for secretly wishing that they do not entertain the idea of being randomly selected to be a bride's maid.
For fear that I may be forced to eat my words at one point,all ranting aside, I feel honored to be part of the party and wish the couple (whom I know little about) all the joy and happiness in the universe (complete with unicorns and daisies, the whole fairy story)

No comments:

Post a Comment